It’s that time again to introduce you all to my favorite blogger of the month! On the last Friday of every month, I interview a favorite blogger of mine and share their answers on my blog. Click here to see who I have featured in the past!
My favorite blogger of the month for February is Alissa from The Adored Life. I’ve been reading Alissa’s blog for a long time and I really adore her style! Alissa has such a fresh and happy spirit about her that makes her instantly likeable. Not only is sweet and stylish, she has also written some really useful blog posts. I loved the series she did recently on improving blog photos (see them here: 1 / 2 / 3). I also think it goes without saying that she has the BEST hair ever!
1. City of residence: Kansas City, KS
2. How long have you been blogging? In April it will be exactly two years!
3. How would you describe your personal style? Yikes. I’ve really tried to think of how to describe it and here goes: Classic with touches of femininity. I prefer slightly preppy, feminine looks since I’ve hit my 20’s. I like to stay classic but add my own personality into all of my outfits.
4. How did you first get into fashion blogs? Who were your first favorites? I started blogging for personal reasons but then when I started seeing comments on my own posts I started exploring the blogging world. Pinterest is what really inspired me to actually post outfits in the beginning. My first favorites were Chic on the Cheap, Lily’s Style and Kendi Everyday. Although my taste has changed from the first days of blogging I still love these women’s blogs.
5. What made you decide to start writing The Adored Life? I started The Adored Life because I was having the absolute worst semester of my college career. I had a teacher who was a bully and was making a class miserable for me. I needed to write to get it all out so I started a blog. I knew that I needed to be able to look back on where I was when I was graduating (like this year!) to see how far I’ve come. The style aspect of the blog didn’t come until much later but I’ve never looked back and had an awesome time blogging style and college frustrations.
6. What’s the most rewarding thing about blogging? Definitely the friends that I have made. I’m attending the wedding of a woman who I met through blogging this summer. At least once a month at school I see my friend Danielle who also blogs. I’ve met so many amazing local business owners that have become friends. On my birthday I came home to cards in the mail from supportive bloggers who believe in me. That has been mind-blowing to me and I am so thankful for it.
7. What’s your least favorite thing about blogging? I really hate that blogging has become a game of stats. I feel like so many bloggers treat their readers now as a number that sells their advertising instead of being genuine. There is such a push to have this perfect life through Instagram photos with perfect afternoons of women who drink tea and eat macarons. Life isn’t perfect. I think one of the best things about blogging is that you can do it for yourself and don’t have to pretend life is perfect. People respond to that. They don’t respond to being treated like a number. I think in the anonymity of the internet we forget that commenters are real people who deserve to be treated like we would want to be treated.
8. What’s on your current shopping wish list? I really, really, really want a pair of polka dot sneakers. (Hint, hint, hint boyfriend.) I’ve had nothing else on my mind this entire month but getting a pair of them.
9. What are your best tips for thrift shopping? Thrift shopping is a totally different mentality than normal shopping. You have to be willing to invest some time as you shop. I’ve found that when I actually take the time to go through all of the racks that’s when I find the best pieces. I found two unworn J. Crew blazers hidden between summer clothes at one thrift store. I would have never found them if I hadn’t have taken the time to go through the summer clothing section even though it was winter. Also, don’t judge by the label alone.
10. You’re getting so close to graduation! What are your goals for after college? World domination. Just kidding. Ish. My honest goals are to get a good job, move farther into Kansas City and continue working on blogging projects. Right now I have some really great opportunities to be involved more in the Kansas City blogging community and I want to pursue them. I’d also like to be able to take up yoga on the weekends after graduation. Why? Because I think it sounds fabulous and am always jealous of those women coming out of yoga on Saturday morning looking all refreshed and carrying expensive purses.
Thank you Alissa for being my Favorite Blogger of the Month for February!
Don’t forget to check out Alissa on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Bloglovin’!