I’m so excited to announce to you all a new blog series for 2013 – my favorite blogger of the month! On the last Friday of every month, I will select a blogger that is a personal favorite of mine and help you all get to know them a little better. I thought this would be a fun way to express my appreciation to my fellow bloggers that inspire me every day, and I hope that you all get inspired too!
Naturally, the first person I had to pick for this feature is Jenny from Crazy Style Love. Not only does she have impeccable style, but she is one of the bloggers that has supported Shop&Twirl from the very beginning, and I could not be more thankful for all of her kind words along the way! I interviewed Jenny about her blog and style and she had wonderful insight about blogging and some great tips to share with fellow bloggers!
Click on pictures to see Jenny’s blog posts
1. City of residence: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2. How long have you been blogging? 9 months
3. How would you describe your personal style? It’s so hard to put it into words but my best attempt would be classic feminine with touches of prep, trend and glam.
4. How did you first get into fashion blogs? Who were your first favorite bloggers?
I very clearly remember how I discovered fashion blogging. It was about 2 years ago when I decided that I had to have a faux fur collar in my wardrobe, because of course, that should be a priority in everyone’s life.
I was searching for one using Google and came across a photo of Helena from Brooklyn Blonde
wearing a fabulous stole from ASOS. I browsed through her blog and I remember thinking “Wow, how cool is it that she posts her outfits for others to check out and be inspired from.” I bookmarked her blog and that moment was the beginning of my obsession with fashion blogs.
5. What made you decide to start writing Crazy Style Love? I moved to Toronto 6 years ago and had met some wonderful people here, but none of them shared the same passion for fashion as I did. My girlfriends who did have the same passion all lived back in my hometown, 4 hours away from the City. I was getting a little frustrated with the constant blank stares I was getting from my boyfriend when I would describe the buttery, soft leather of a new Balenciaga bag or the details of the perfect black suede stilletto pumps that I just purchased. After I discovered fashion blogs, I realized there was this whole online community of lovely ladies who share my same passion. It was September 2011 when I started to toy with the idea of starting my own blog so i could connect with these fabulous women, and 8 months later, I finally worked up the courage to put myself out there and start Crazy Style Love.
6. What’s the most rewarding thing about blogging? By far, the most rewarding thing about blogging is the friendships and relationships I’ve built with other bloggers. I was utterly shocked by the tremendous encouragement and support I was receiving from complete strangers. It was also surprising to me that such great relationships could be built with people whom I’ve never met in person. I hope to one day soon meet some of these wonderful ladies face to face.
7. What’s your least favorite thing about blogging? Ha ha ha, that’s easy. . .the worst part of blogging for me is definitely taking my outfit photos! I’m an introvert and somewhat shy, but I live in downtown Toronto in a complex of 5 large condo buildings. There are people walking around all of the time! I feel so ridiculously silly having them walk by staring at me wondering why this person, who is so clearly not a model, is posing for photos in public. After 9 months of taking photos, you would think I would be used to it by now, but, nope, it’s still as awkward today as it was for my very first photo.
8. What’s on your current shopping wish list?
Even though we have a few more months of Winter left, I’m already looking forward to Spring. Topping my wish list is the Valentino Rocklock bag
in Beige (I’m not sure yet if I’ll make this splurge but I actually think about this bag on a daily basis), a really pretty floral ASOS coat
and the perfect pair of yellow pumps (which I have yet to find).
9. It’s so refreshing to see a successful blogger who also has a full-time job. How do you balance having a career and a blog? I’m not going to lie, it can be challenging, but balance is the key word. I love blogging so it never feels like work for me, and it’s easy to get caught up in it. There have been plenty of nights when I’ve wanted to go home from a day at the office and work on a post or check out other blogs. My boyfriend will quickly point out that I’ve spent the last 3 nights in a row on my computer until I’ve fallen asleep with the mouse in my hand. It’s those moments when I’m reminded that life is about balance, and it’s surprisingly easy for me to shut down my computer and phone to just spend the night on the couch with my Man, a good movie and a bowl of popcorn.
10. Your blog became very successful very quickly. Do you have any tips you’d like to share about how to grow your blog readership? I don’t consider myself to be successful just yet. I still have a long way to go to hit some of my goals, but it’s definitely slowly coming along. The best advice I can offer is that a blog is not always a “build it and they will come” venture. It takes times and patience. You need to make it easy for people to find your blog. In the beginning, my biggest source of traffic was from The Purse Forum where I would post my photos in their daily outfits thread, which I still do. The key was to interact with others and be genuine. I also received traffic from posting photos on Chicisimo and Chictopia. Use social media like Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to build relationships and drive traffic, but be sure to be strategic and genuine with your posts. Another key traffic generator for me was comments left on other blogs. Leaving sincere and thoughtful comments will entice people to check you out. It’s a lot of work, but that’s also how I’ve built such great friendships with so many other bloggers.
Thank you Jenny for being my first Blogger of the Month!
Don’t forget to check out Jenny on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Bloglovin’! Also, be sure to enter her Ciate nail polish giveaway going on right now! Who wouldn’t want more nail polish??